Monday, August 27, 2012

You're a big, fat, dirty, rotten sinner . . . Yes, YOU!


A couple weeks ago, I had an intense, awkward, frustrating confrontation with someone very important to me.  I was in a position where I could and needed to walk away, and I did.  The anger built up inside me, though, and I wanted so badly to spew out what I was thinking and feeling.  Honestly, I think I was right and probably would’ve been in the right for saying something, but not in the frame of mind I had.  I literally felt as though the Holy Spirit was supernaturally holding my mouth closed as I left that place.

As I fumed on the way home, I also felt proud that I walked out without saying anything.  Suddenly, I heard God speak to me:  You’re no better.  Yes, you did the right thing by keeping your mouth shut and walking away, but you’re a sinner, just the same.

This is just one of many things recently that God has used as He has been dealing with me heavily about compassion the past couple of months.  It really started to tug deeply at my heart after the shooting in Aurora, Colorado.  Several of my facebook friends made posts and comments regarding the alleged shooter that bothered me.  While the media spent hours of coverage interviewing, speculating, and discussing what made this man do what he did, many Christians spent those same hours criticizing him and saying what he deserved and where he could go.

It broke my heart because I couldn’t help thinking, “If not for God’s grace, I could’ve easily been a mass murderer.”  Going through some of the trials I have in the past few years has, unfortunately, brought out some of my poorer qualities.  One of these is my temper.  I’ve always been overly sensitive and quick to get offended or angry.  God is working with me on it and through it, but it isn’t easy.  When going through a divorce and custody battle, I had thoughts I couldn’t believe were happening in my own head.  When judges ruled things that didn’t make any sense to me, I understood why, humanly speaking, people go rogue and take matters into their own hands.  I realized how stress, anger, exhaustion, and rejection can make people perform acts that surprise everyone who knows them.

Over the last couple of months, God has been reminding me over and over again that in his eyes, I am the same as the alleged Colorado shooter.  I am a sinner who has broken God’s law and deserves hell.  I am not more deserving of blessings or less deserving of punishment.  And as a recipient of God’s grace and mercy in my life, I believe I am compelled to show compassion to others, especially those who may have never heard or may never hear anywhere else that Jesus loves them.

I do NOT think that compassion means letting people get away with wrongdoing or giving them a free pass.  I believe we all have to face the consequences of our choices, good and bad, big and small.  I DO think compassion can be offering a kind word, holding back a sarcastic comment, choosing to walk away rather than having an anger outburst.  Perhaps compassion is sacrificing your “fun money” to help a friend who’s having a hard time or whose child needs school clothes.  Maybe compassion is taking time out of your way-too-busy schedule to call, write, or email a friend whom you know is down or struggling.

What does compassion look like in your life?  Remember, you’re just as undeserving, but God has shown compassion to you!  Pass it on!

No comments:

Post a Comment