Wednesday, February 2, 2011

One Word

A few days ago, a friend shared a verse of encouragement on my post regarding spiritual warfare. It was Exodus 15:27 "And they came to Elim, where were twelve wells of water, and threescore and ten palm trees: and they encamped there by the waters." The next day, on the KLOVE Morning Show, they were talking about their "One Word Challenge." They are encouraging everyone to choose a single word as their "motto" or "resolution" for 2011. Immediately, I thought of the verse my friend had posted, and the word "refresh(ment)" came to my mind.

The deserts of life - finances, children, joblessness, relationships, worry, loneliness, you name it - leave us parched, even nearly dead, and longing for refreshment. How many times I have been refreshed and wasn't even aware that I needed it! An encouraging text or note in the mail, a comment on facebook, a hug from a friend - these are all sources of refreshment. How many more times have I cried out to God from a place of sin or brokenheartedness, how often have I opened the Bible and begged Him to give me some drop of water to cool the burn of tiredness!

Refreshment gives us courage to face the unknown and strength to face the known; it prods us to take another step though our feet are bloody from the jagged rocks. It spurs us on to the mountaintop and shines hope on us in the valley. This year, I want to be refreshed by my seeking and God's answering. I want to refresh others the way I myself have been encouraged so many times.

No comments:

Post a Comment